Sanoli's Kitchen: PEYAJI (KANDA BHAJJI / ONION FRITTERS)

Monday, October 15, 2012

PEYAJI (KANDA BHAJJI / ONION FRITTERS)

Peyaji is an all time favourite savory snacks, accompaniment with tea / coffee in a rainy evening. Bengalis are fond of 'Tele bhaja' (deep oil fried savory) and muri (puffed rice) as an evening time snacks. I can't forget that my father used to take a oil greased packet full of 'tele bhaja' while he returning back from office and we together sat and enjoyed our evening snacks. There are lots of varieties of fried savory i.e. singara (samosa), beguni (batter fried sliced brinjal), alur chop (potato fritters), dhoka (gram lentil fritter), alu bora, vegetable chop, egg chop, fish chop, mutton chop etc. So, I dedicate this savory onion fritters recipe to my 'Guru', one of my parent, my father. A simple but mouthwatering savory loved by all.

INGREDIENTS:
4 Large Red Onions (kanda/peyaj)
A pinch of Nigella seeds
3-4 Green Chillies
1/2" Ginger
1/3 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
1/2 cup +1/4 cup Chickpea Flour (besan)
3 tbsps Rice Flour
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying

METHOD:
Chop green chillies and mince ginger. Set aside.

Thinly slice the onions. Add salt in it. Keep aside for 20-30 minutes.

Now combine nigella seeds, 1/2 cup chickpea flour, rice flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder with onion. Fold nicely. Set aside for another 15-20 minutes.

Sprinkle little water on the onion mixture, mix well by using hand. Now add chopped green chillies, minced ginger and 1/4 cup chickpea flour in it. Again mix thoroughly.

Heat oil in a pan. The oil should be heated enough. Reduce the heat to medium, take a small portion from the onion mixture, press within your palms to make it little flat and pour it in the oil very causiously.

Add few more, fry both sides of the fritters till light brown on medium heat.

Take out from the oil by using a slotted spoon and drain it on kitchen paper towel for absorbing the excess oil.

Serve hot with chilli tomato sauce and a cup of pipping hot tea / coffee. Enjoy this mouthwatering savory!

Linking to: Feast for your Guru

22 comments:

  1. Delicious onion bhaji love to have with my tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this crispy crunchy fritters..
    Perfect to have with a cup of tea on a cold evening in the fall.

    Divya's Culinary Journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks super crispy and perfect with cup of tea..

    ReplyDelete
  4. sure! I like it this way. Crunch crunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... I and my hubby love it. Lovely!!!
    http://yashodhaskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/10/microwave-milk-kova-paal-kova.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah kanda bhajiyas i like them but here when we make all that onion just sticks in my teeth

    they r good tea time snack

    Join my first event -- Be My guest

    methi kadhi-- a guest post

    ReplyDelete
  7. my fav fritters.. perfect and also crispy..

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy recipe. Join me in Fast Food event-Vermicilli in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy ... Want to have it right now with my cup of tea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love tele bhaja! Those friters look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very crispy n tempting..nobody can stop munching this
    Super Yummy Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  12. nigella seeds for bhajji is new to me. perfect for a tea time snack

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this crisp fries on a rainy day..Delicious with a cup of hot tea:)
    Join my ongoing EP events-Rosemary OR Sesame @ Now Serving

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow very nice. delicious recipe.very good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Give me that plate, i truly feel like munching some bhajjis rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Peyanji is my all time favorite snack.Love the way you prepared it.


    I have a new blog and presently featuring Pujo Special Recipes to spice up your festival days.Please do visit.Thankyou.

    www.mellownspicy.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What delicious onion fritters! So golden brown, crispy and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow very tempting fritters,luks too gud...

    ReplyDelete